This Employment Agreement (the Agreement), entered into on April 17, 2013, with employment effective as of March 4, 2013 (the Effective Date), is made by and between Dale Redman (the Executive) and ProPetro Holding Corp., a Texas corporation (together with any of its subsidiaries and Affiliates as may employ the Executive from time to time, and any successor(s) thereto, the Company).
A. The Company desires to assure itself of the services of the Executive by engaging the Executive to perform services under the terms hereof.
B. The Executive desires to provide services to the Company on the terms herein provided.
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the foregoing, and for other good and valuable consideration, including the respective covenants and agreements set forth below, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, the parties hereto agree as follows:
1. Certain Definitions.
(a) Affiliate shall mean, with respect to any Person, any other Person directly or indirectly controlling, controlled by, or under common control with, such Person where control shall have the meaning given such term under Rule 405 of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended from time to time.
(b) Agreement shall have the meaning set forth in the preamble hereto.
(c) Annual Base Salary shall have the meaning set forth in Section 3(a).
(d) Annual Bonus shall have the meaning set forth in Section 3(b).
(e) Board shall mean the Board of Directors of the Company.
(f) The Company shall have Cause to terminate the Executives employment hereunder upon: (i) the Executives willful failure to substantially perform the duties set forth herein (other than any such failure resulting from the Executives Disability); (ii) the Executives willful failure to carry out, or comply with, in any material respect any lawful directive of the Board; (iii) the Executives commission at any time of any act or omission that results in, or may reasonably be expected to result in, a conviction, plea of no contest, plea of nolo contendere, or imposition of unadjudicated probation for any felony or crime involving moral turpitude; (iv) the Executives unlawful use (including being under the influence) or possession of illegal drugs on the Companys premises or while performing the Executives duties and responsibilities hereunder; (v) the Executives commission at any time of any act of fraud, embezzlement, misappropriation, misconduct, conversion of assets of the Company, or
breach of fiduciary duty against the Company (or any predecessor thereto or successor thereof); or (vi) the Executives material breach of this Agreement, the Shareholders Agreement or any other agreements with the Company (including, without limitation, any breach of the restrictive covenants of any such agreement); and which, in the case of clauses (i), (ii) and (vi), continues beyond thirty (30) days after the Company has provided the Executive written notice of such failure or breach (to the extent that, in the reasonable judgment of the Board, such failure or breach can be cured by the Executive). Whether or not an event giving rise to Cause occurs will be determined by the Board in its sole discretion.
(g) Code shall mean the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.
(h) Committee shall mean the Compensation Committee of the Board, or if no such committee exists, the Board.
(i) Common Stock shall mean the common stock of ProPetro Holding Corp., par value $0.001 per share.
(j) Company shall, except as otherwise provided in Section 6(i), have the meaning set forth in the preamble hereto.
(k) Date of Termination shall mean (i) if the Executives employment is terminated due to the Executives death, the date of the Executives death; (ii) if the Executives employment is terminated due to the Executives Disability, the date determined pursuant to Section 4(a)(ii); (iii) if the Executives employment is terminated pursuant to Section 4(a)(iii)- (vi), either the date indicated in the Notice of Termination or the date specified by the Company pursuant to Section 4(b), whichever is earlier; or (iv) if the Executives employment is terminated pursuant to Section 4(a)(vii)-(viii), the date immediately following the expiration of the then-current Term.
(l) Disability shall mean the Executives inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment that can be expected to result in death or that can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than twelve (12) months.
(m) Effective Date shall have the meaning set forth in the preamble hereto.
(n) Executive shall have the meaning set forth in the preamble hereto.
(o) Extension Term shall have the meaning set forth in Section 2(b).
(p) First Payment Date shall have the meaning set forth in Section 5(b).
(q) The Executive shall have Good Reason to terminate the Executives employment hereunder within six (6) months after the occurrence of one or more of the following conditions without the Executives consent: (i) a material diminution in the Executives authority, duties, or responsibilities, as described herein; (ii) a material diminution in the Executives base compensation, as described herein; or (iii) any other action or inaction that constitutes a material breach of this Agreement by the Company; and which, in the case of any of
the foregoing, continues beyond thirty (30) days after the Executive has provided the Company written notice that the Executive believes in good faith that such condition giving rise to such claim of Good Reason has occurred, so long as such notice is provided within ninety (90) days after the initial existence of such condition.
(r) Initial Term shall have the meaning set forth in Section 2(b).
(s) Installment Payments shall have the meaning set forth in Section 5(b).
(t) Noncompetition Restricted Period shall mean the period from the Effective Date through the first (1st) anniversary of the Date of Termination.
(u) Nonsolicitation Restricted Period shall mean the period from the Effective Date through the third (3rd) anniversary of the Date of Termination.
(v) Notice of Termination shall have the meaning set forth in Section 4(b).
(w) Option shall have the meaning set forth in Section 3(c).
(x) Performance Targets shall have the meaning set forth in Section 3(b).
(y) Person shall mean any individual, natural person, corporation (including any non-profit corporation), general partnership, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, joint venture, estate, trust, company (including any company limited by shares, limited liability company or joint stock company), incorporated or unincorporated association, governmental authority, firm, society or other enterprise, organization or other entity of any nature.
(z) Proprietary Information shall have the meaning set forth in Section 6(c).
(aa) Section 409A shall mean Section 409A of the Code and the Department of Treasury regulations and other interpretive guidance issued thereunder, including without limitation any such regulations or other guidance that may be issued after the Effective Date.
(bb) Severance Payment shall have the meaning set forth in Section 5(b).
(cc) Severance Period shall have the meaning set forth in Section 5(b).
(dd) Shareholders Agreement shall mean that certain management stockholders agreement to be entered into by and among ProPetro Holding Corp., the Executive. other senior executives of the Company and certain other Persons, attached hereto as Exhibit A, as it may be amended from time to time.
(ee) Term shall have the meaning set forth in Section 2(b).
(ff) Transaction Agreement shall mean that certain Transaction Agreement dated March 4, 2013, by and among the Company; Blinn Tenney; Shamrock Kelley Energy, Inc.; The JaLee Fladeland 101 Trust; The W.D. Martin 101 Trust; Craig Hart; Sharon Hart; Chuck MacArthur; David Gayanich; West Partners, LLC; Leslie Tenney, Rockbrook Capital, LLP; Dale
Redman; Energy Capital Partners II, LP, a Delaware limited partnership; Energy Capital Partners II-A, LP, a Delaware limited partnership; Energy Capital Partners II-B, LP, a Delaware limited partnership; Energy Capital Partners II-C (Direct IP), LP, a Delaware limited partnership; and Energy Capital Partners II-D, LP, a Delaware limited partnership.
(a) In General. The Company shall employ the Executive and the Executive shall enter the employ of the Company, for the period set forth in Section 2(b), in the position set forth in Section 2(c), and upon the other terms and conditions herein provided.
(b) Term of Employment. The initial term of employment under this Agreement (the Initial Term) shall be for the period beginning on the Effective Date and ending on the second (2nd) anniversary thereof, unless earlier terminated as provided in Section 4; provided that, notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, the Effective Date shall not occur, and the Initial Term shall not begin, unless and until the Executive has successfully completed a background check and has completed all necessary employment documentation, in each case in accordance with the Companys hiring policies. The Initial Term shall automatically be extended for successive one (1) year periods (each, an Extension Term and, collectively with the Initial Term, the Term), unless either party hereto gives notice of non-extension to the other no later than ninety (90) days prior to the expiration of the then-applicable Term.
(c) Position and Duties. During the Term, the Executive: (i) shall serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the Company, with responsibilities, duties and authority customary for such positions, subject to direction by Chief Executive Officer of the Company; (ii) shall report to the Chief Executive Officer of the Company; (iii) shall devote substantially all the Executives working time and efforts to the business and affairs of the Company and its subsidiaries; and (iv) agrees to observe and comply with the Companys rules and policies as adopted by the Company from time to time.
3. Compensation and Related Matters.
(a) Annual Base Salary. During the Term, the Executive shall receive a base salary at a rate of $250,000 per annum, which shall be paid in accordance with the customary payroll practices of the Company, subject to review by the Board in its sole discretion (the Annual Base Salary).
(b) Annual Bonus. With respect to each calendar year that ends during the Term, commencing with calendar year 2013, the Executive shall be eligible to receive an annual cash bonus (the Annual Bonus) in an amount up to fifty percent (50%) of Executives Annual Base Salary, based upon individual and Company annual performance targets (the Performance Targets) established by the Board in its sole discretion. The amount of the Annual Bonus shall be based upon the Executives and the Companys attainment of the Performance Targets, as determined by the Board (or any authorized committee of the Board) in its sole discretion. Each such Annual Bonus shall be payable on such date as is determined by the Board in its sole discretion, but in any event on or prior to March 15 of the calendar year immediately following
the calendar year with respect to which such Annual Bonus relates. Notwithstanding the foregoing, no bonus shall be payable with respect to any calendar year unless the Executive remains continuously employed with the Company during the period beginning on the Effective Date and ending on December 31 of such year.
(c) Stock Options. As soon as practicable following the Effective Date, the Company shall grant the Executive a non-qualified stock option (Option) to purchase a number of shares of Common Stock equal to the product of (i) 77,758,274.11 and (ii) the Adjustment Percentage (as defined below), at an exercise price per share of Common Stock equal to the fair market value per share of Common Stock on the date of grant of such Option, and pursuant to the terms and conditions of the Stock Option Plan of the Company and a non-qualified stock option agreement substantially in the form attached hereto as Exhibit B. For purposes of this Section 3(c) the Adjustment Percentage shall mean the ratio of (i) the number of shares of Common Stock issued to the Purchasers (as defined in the Transaction Agreement) after adjustment pursuant to Section 1.04(d) of the Transaction Agreement to (ii) the number of such shares prior to such adjustment. The Executive and the Company acknowledge and agree that any shares of Common Stock or other equity securities of the Company acquired by the Executive upon exercise of such Option or otherwise shall be subject to the terms and conditions of the Shareholders Agreement.
(d) Benefits. The Executive shall be eligible to participate in employee benefit plans, programs and arrangements of the Company, as in effect from time to time (including, without limitation, medical and dental insurance and a 401(k) plan).
(e) Vacation: Holidays. During the Term, the Executive shall be entitled to four (4) weeks paid vacation each full calendar year. Any vacation shall be taken at the reasonable and mutual convenience of the Company and the Executive and in accordance with Company policy. Holidays shall be provided in accordance with Company policy, as in effect from time to time.
(f) Business Expenses. During the Term, the Company shall reimburse the Executive for all reasonable, documented, out-of-pocket travel and other business expenses incurred by the Executive in the performance of the Executives duties to the Company in accordance with the Companys applicable expense reimbursement policies and procedures, as in effect from time to time.
4. Termination. The Executives employment hereunder may be terminated by the Company or the Executive, as applicable, without any breach of this Agreement, only under the following circumstances:
(i) Death. The Executives employment hereunder shall terminate upon the Executives death.
(ii) Disability. If the Executive incurs a Disability, the Company may give the Executive written notice of its intention to terminate the Executives employment. In that event, the Executives employment with the Company shall
terminate, effective on the later of the thirtieth (30th) day after receipt of such notice by the Executive or the date specified in such notice; provided that within the thirty (30) day period following receipt of such notice, the Executive shall not have returned to full-time performance of the Executives duties hereunder.
(iii) Termination for Cause. The Company may terminate the Executives employment for Cause.
(iv) Termination without Cause. The Company may terminate the Executives employment without Cause.
(v) Resignation for Good Reason. The Executive may resign from the Executives employment for Good Reason.
(vi) Resignation without Good Reason. The Executive may resign from the Executives employment without Good Reason.
(vii) Non-Extension of Term by the Company. The Company may give notice of non-extension to the Executive pursuant to Section 2(b). For the avoidance of doubt, non-extension of the Term by the Company shall not constitute termination by the Company without Cause.
(viii) Non-Extension of Term by the Executive. The Executive may give notice of non-extension to the Company pursuant to Section 2(b).
(b) Notice of Termination. Any termination of the Executives employment by the Company or by the Executive under this Section 4 (other than a termination pursuant to Section 4(a)(i) above) shall be communicated by a written notice to the other party hereto (a Notice of Termination): (i) indicating the specific termination provision in this Agreement relied upon, (ii) except with respect to a termination pursuant to Sections 4(a)(iv), (vi), (vii) or (viii), setting forth in reasonable detail the facts and circumstances claimed to provide a basis for termination of the Executives employment under the provision so indicated, and (iii) specifying a Date of Termination, which, if submitted by the Executive, shall be at least thirty (30) days following the date of such notice; provided, however, that a Notice of Termination delivered by the Company pursuant to Section 4(a)(ii) shall not be required to specify a Date of Termination, in which case the Date of Termination shall be determined pursuant to Section 4(a)(ii); and provided, further, that in the event that the Executive delivers a Notice of Termination (other than a Notice of Termination under Section 4(a)(viii) above) to the Company, the Company may, in its sole discretion, accelerate the Date of Termination to any date that occurs following the date of Companys receipt of such Notice of Termination (even if such date is prior to the date specified in such Notice of Termination). A Notice of Termination submitted by the Company (other than a Notice of Termination under Section 4(a)(ii) or Section 4(a)(vii) above) may provide for a Date of Termination on the date the Executive receives the Notice of Termination, or any date thereafter elected by the Company in its sole discretion. The failure by the Company or the Executive to set forth in the Notice of Termination any fact or circumstance which contributes to a showing of Cause or Good Reason shall not waive any right of the Company or
the Executive hereunder or preclude the Company or the Executive from asserting such fact or circumstance in enforcing the Companys or the Executives rights hereunder.
5. Company Obligations Upon Termination of Employment.
(a) In General. Upon a termination of the Executives employment for any reason, the Executive (or the Executives estate) shall be entitled to receive: (i) any portion of the Executives Annual Base Salary through the Date of Termination not theretofore paid, (ii) any expenses owed to the Executive under Section 3(f), (iii) any accrued but unused vacation pay owed to the Executive pursuant to Section 3(e), and (iv) any amount arising from the Executives participation in, or benefits under, any employee benefit plans, programs or arrangements under Section 3(d), which amounts shall be payable in accordance with the terms and conditions of such employee benefit plans, programs or arrangements. Any Annual Bonus earned for any calendar year completed prior to the Date of Termination, but unpaid prior to such date, shall be paid on or prior to March 15 of the calendar year immediately following such completed calendar year with respect to which such Annual Bonus was earned. Any equity awards granted to the Executive, including stock options, shall continue to be governed by the terms and conditions of the applicable plans and agreements. Except as otherwise set forth in Section 5(b) below, the payments and benefits described in this Section 5(a) shall be the only payments and benefits payable in the event of the Executives termination of employment for any reason.
(b) Severance Payment
(i) In the event of the Executives termination of employment (1) by the Company without Cause pursuant to Section 4(a)(iv) or (2) by the Executives resignation for Good Reason pursuant to Section 4(a)(v), then, in addition to the payments and benefits described in Section 5(a) above, the Company shall, during the period beginning on the Date of Termination and ending on the first (1st) anniversary of the Date of Termination (the Severance Period), pay to the Executive an amount (the Severance Payment) equal to the sum of (A) the Annual Base Salary for the year in which the Date of Termination occurs, and (B) the Annual Bonus paid to the Executive in respect of the calendar year immediately preceding the year in which the Date of Termination occurs; provided that, in the case of such a termination prior to January 1, 2014, the amount in the foregoing clause (B) shall instead be the target Annual Bonus for calendar year 2013, prorated based on the number of days that the Executive is employed by the Company during the period beginning on the Effective Date and ending on December 31, 2013, and in the case of such a termination in 2014, the amount in the foregoing clause (B) shall be annualized. The Company shall subsidize the Executives COBRA premiums with respect to continued coverage under the Companys health plans so that the Executive will pay the same premium as that of an active employee of the Company for health coverage for the duration of the Severance Period; provided that such subsidies will cease as of the date, if any, that the Executive becomes covered under the group health plans of another employer.
(ii) The Severance Payment shall be in lieu of notice or any other severance benefits to which the Executive might otherwise be entitled. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, (A) no portion of the Severance Payment shall be paid
unless, on or prior to the thirtieth (30th) day following the Date of Termination, the Executive timely executes a general waiver and release of claims agreement in the Companys customary form (which release shall be delivered by the Company to the Executive within seven (7) days after the Date of Termination and shall not require the Executive to release or waive any vested benefits or claims that arise for the first time after the Effective Date), and such release shall not have been revoked by the Executive prior to the expiration of the period (if any) during which any portion of such release is revocable under applicable law, and (B) as of the first date on which the Executive violates any covenant contained in Section 6, any remaining unpaid portion of the Severance Payment shall thereupon be forfeited. Subject to the provisions of Section 8, the Severance Payment shall be paid in equal installments during the Severance Period, at the same time and in the same manner as the Annual Base Salary would have been paid had the Executive remained in active employment during the Severance Period, in accordance with the Companys normal payroll practices in effect on the Date of Termination; provided that any installment that would otherwise have been paid prior to the first normal payroll payment date occurring on or after the thirtieth (30th) day following the Date of Termination (such payroll date, the First Payment Date) shall instead be paid on the First Payment Date. For purposes of Section 409A (including, without limitation, for purposes of Section 1.409A-2(b)(2)(iii) of the Department of Treasury Regulations), the Executives right to receive the Severance Payment in the form of installment payments (the Installment Payments) shall be treated as a right to receive a series of separate payments and, accordingly, each Installment Payment shall at all times be considered a separate and distinct payment.
(c) The provisions of this Section 5 shall supersede in their entirety any severance payment provisions in any severance plan, policy, program or other arrangement maintained by the Company.
6. Restrictive Covenants.
(a) The Executive hereby agrees that the Executive shall not, at any time during the Noncompetition Restricted Period, directly or indirectly engage in, have any interest in (including, without limitation, through the investment of capital or lending of money or property), or manage, operate or otherwise render any services to, any Person (whether on his own or in association with others, as a principal, director, officer, employee, agent, representative, partner, member, security holder, consultant, advisor, independent contractor, owner, investor, participant or in any other capacity) that engages in (either directly or through any subsidiary or Affiliate thereof) any business or activity, within any of the states or territories within the United States or any other country, territory or state in which the Company or any of its subsidiaries operate, (i) that creates, designs, invents, engineers, develops, sources, markets, manufactures, distributes or sells any product or provides any service that may be used as a substitute for or otherwise competes with any product or service of the Company or any entity owned by the Company, or (ii) which the Company or any of its Affiliates has taken active steps to engage in or acquire, but only if the Executive directly or indirectly engages in, has any interest in (including, without limitation, through the investment of capital or lending of money or property), or manages, operates or otherwise renders any services in connection with, such business or activity (whether on his own or in association with others, as a principal, director,
officer, employee, agent, representative, partner, member, security holder, consultant, advisor, independent contractor, owner, investor, participant or in any other capacity). Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Executive shall be permitted to acquire a passive stock or equity interest in such a business; provided that such stock or other equity interest acquired is not more than five percent (5%) of the outstanding interest in such business.
(b) The Executive hereby agrees that the Executive shall not, at any time during the Nonsolicitation Restricted Period, directly or indirectly, either for himself or on behalf of any other Person, (i) recruit or otherwise solicit or induce any employee, customer or supplier of the Company to terminate its employment or arrangement with the Company, or otherwise change its relationship with the Company, or (ii) hire, or cause to be hired, any person who was employed by the Company at any time during the twelve (12)-month period immediately prior to the Date of Termination or who thereafter becomes employed by the Company.
(c) Except as the Executive reasonably and in good faith determines to be required in the faithful performance of the Executives duties hereunder or in accordance with Section 6(e), the Executive shall, during the Term and after the Date of Termination, maintain in confidence and shall not directly or indirectly, use, disseminate, disclose or publish, for the Executives benefit or the benefit of any other Person, any confidential or proprietary information or trade secrets of or relating to the Company, including, without limitation, information with respect to the Companys operations, processes, protocols, products, inventions, business practices, finances, principals, vendors, suppliers, customers, potential customers, marketing methods, costs, prices, contractual relationships, regulatory status, compensation paid to employees or other terms of employment (Proprietary Information), or deliver to any Person, any document, record, notebook, computer program or similar repository of or containing any such Proprietary Information. The Executives obligation to maintain and not use, disseminate, disclose or publish, or use for the Executives benefit or the benefit of any other Person, any Proprietary Information after the Date of Termination will continue so long as such Proprietary Information is not, or has not by legitimate means become, generally known and in the public domain (other than by means of the Executives direct or indirect disclosure of such Proprietary Information) and continues to be maintained as Proprietary Information by the Company. The parties hereby stipulate and agree that as between them, the Proprietary Information identified herein is important, material and affects the successful conduct of the businesses of the Company (and any successor or assignee of the Company).
(d) Upon termination of the Executives employment with the Company for any reason, the Executive will promptly deliver to the Company (i) all correspondence, drawings, manuals, letters, notes, notebooks, reports, programs, plans, proposals, financial documents, or any other documents that are Proprietary Information, including all physical and digital copies thereof, and (ii) all other Company property (including, without limitation, any personal computer or wireless device and related accessories, keys, credit cards and other similar items) which is in his possession, custody or control.
(e) The Executive may respond to a lawful and valid subpoena or other legal process but shall give the Company the earliest possible notice thereof, and shall, as much in advance of the return date as possible, make available to the Company and its counsel the
documents and other information sought, and shall assist such counsel in resisting or otherwise responding to such process.
(f) The Executive agrees not to disparage the Company, any of its products or practices, or any of its directors, officers, agents, representatives, partners, members, equity holders or Affiliates, either orally or in writing, at any time; provided that the Executive may confer in confidence with the Executives legal representatives and make truthful statements as required by law.
(g) Prior to accepting other employment or any other service relationship during the Noncompetition Restricted Period, the Executive shall provide a copy of this Section 6 to any recruiter who assists the Executive in obtaining other employment or any other service relationship and to any employer or other Person with which the Executive discusses potential employment or any other service relationship.
(h) In the event the terms of this Section 6 shall be determined by any court of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable by reason of its extending for too great a period of time or over too great a geographical area or by reason of its being too extensive in any other respect, it will be interpreted to extend only over the maximum period of time for which it may be enforceable, over the maximum geographical area as to which it may be enforceable, or to the maximum extent in all other respects as to which it may be enforceable, all as determined by such court in such action. Any breach or violation by the Executive of the provisions of this Section 6 shall toll the running of any time periods set forth in this Section 6 for the duration of any such breach or violation.
(i) As used in this Section 6, the term Company shall include the Company and any parent, affiliated, related and/or direct or indirect subsidiary entity thereof.
7. Injunctive Relief. The Executive recognizes and acknowledges that a breach of the covenants contained in Section 6 will cause irreparable damage to the Company and its goodwill, the exact amount of which will be difficult or impossible to ascertain, and that the remedies at law for any such breach will be inadequate. Accordingly, the Executive agrees that in the event of a breach of any of the covenants contained in Section 6, in addition to any other remedy which may be available at law or in equity, the Company will be entitled to specific performance and injunctive relief.
8. Section 409A.
(a) General. The parties hereto acknowledge and agree that, to the extent applicable, this Agreement shall be interpreted in accordance with, and incorporate the terms and conditions required by, Section 409A. Notwithstanding any provision of this Agreement to the contrary, in the event that the Company determines that any amounts payable hereunder will be immediately taxable to the Executive under Section 409A, the Company reserves the right to (without any obligation to do so or to indemnify the Executive for failure to do so) (i) adopt such amendments to this Agreement or adopt such other policies and procedures (including amendments, policies and procedures with retroactive effect) that it determines to be necessary or appropriate to preserve the intended tax treatment of the benefits provided by this Agreement,
to preserve the economic benefits of this Agreement and to avoid less favorable accounting or tax consequences for the Company and/or (ii) take such other actions it determines to be necessary or appropriate to exempt the amounts payable hereunder from Section 409A or to comply with the requirements of Section 409 A and thereby avoid the application of penalty taxes thereunder. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, no provision of this Agreement shall be interpreted or construed to transfer any liability for failure to comply with the requirements of Section 409A from the Executive or any other individual to the Company or any of its Affiliates, employees or agents.
(b) Separation from Service under Section 409A; 409A Compliance. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary: (i) no termination or other similar payments and benefits hereunder shall be payable unless the Executives termination of employment constitutes a separation from service within the meaning of Section 1.409A-1 (h) of the Department of Treasury Regulations; (ii) if the Executive is deemed at the time of the Executives separation from service to be a specified employee for purposes of Section 409A(a)(2)(B)(i) of the Code, to the extent delayed commencement of any portion of any termination or other similar payments and benefits to which the Executive may be entitled hereunder (after taking into account all exclusions applicable to such payments or benefits under Section 409A) is required in order to avoid a prohibited distribution under Section 409A(a)(2)(B)(i) of the Code, such portion of such payments and benefits shall not be provided to the Executive prior to the earlier of (x) the expiration of the six (6)-month period measured from the date of the Executives separation from service with the Company (as such term is defined in the Department of Treasury Regulations issued under Section 409A) or (y) the date of the Executives death; provided that upon the earlier of such dates, all payments and benefits deferred pursuant to this Section 8(b)(ii) shall be paid in a lump sum to the Executive, and any remaining payments and benefits due hereunder shall be provided as otherwise specified herein; (iii) the determination of whether the Executive is a specified employee for purposes of Section 409A(a)(2)(B)(i) of the Code as of the time of the Executives separation from service shall be made by the Company in accordance with the terms of Section 409A (including, without limitation, Section 1.409A-1(i) of the Department of Treasury Regulations and any successor provision thereto); (iv) to the extent that any installment payments under this Agreement are deemed to constitute nonqualified deferred compensation within the meaning of Section 409A, for purposes of Section 409A (including, without limitation, for purposes of Section 1.409A-2(b)(2)(iii) of the Department of Treasury Regulations), each such payment that the Executive may be eligible to receive under this Agreement shall be treated as a separate and distinct payment; (v) to the extent that any reimbursements or corresponding in-kind benefits provided to the Executive under this Agreement are deemed to constitute deferred compensation under Section 409A, such reimbursements or benefits shall be provided reasonably promptly, but in no event later than December 31 of the year following the year in which the expense was incurred, and in any event in accordance with Section 1.409A-3(i)(1)(iv) of the Department of Treasury Regulations; and (vi) the amount of any such payments or expense reimbursements in one calendar year shall not affect the expenses or in-kind benefits eligible for payment or reimbursement in any other calendar year, other than an arrangement providing for the reimbursement of medical expenses referred to in Section 105(b) of the Code, and the Executives right to such payments or reimbursement of any such expenses shall not be subject to liquidation or exchange for any other benefit.
9. Assignment and Successors. The Company may assign its rights and obligations under this Agreement to any entity, including any successor to all or substantially all the assets of the Company, by merger or otherwise, and may assign or encumber this Agreement and its rights hereunder as security for indebtedness of the Company and its Affiliates. The Executive may not assign the Executives rights or obligations under this Agreement to any individual or entity. This Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the Company, the Executive and their respective successors, assigns, personnel and legal representatives, executors, administrators, heirs, distributees, devisees, and legatees, as applicable.
10. Governing Law. This Agreement shall be governed, construed, interpreted and enforced in accordance with the substantive laws of the State of Texas, without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law, whether of the State of Texas or any other jurisdiction, and where applicable, the laws of the United States, that would result in the application of the laws of any other jurisdiction.
11. Validity. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision or provisions of this Agreement shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision of this Agreement, which shall remain in full force and effect.
12. Notices. Any notice, request, claim, demand, document and other communication hereunder to any party hereto shall be effective upon receipt (or refusal of receipt) and shall be in writing and delivered personally or sent by telex, telecopy, or certified or registered mail, postage prepaid, to the following address (or at any other address as any patty hereto shall have specified by notice in writing to the other party hereto):
(a) If to the Company:
1706 Midkiff, Building B
Midland, TX 79702
Telephone: (432) 688-0012
Attention: Dale Redman
Facsimile: (432) 688-3976
With a copy to:
Energy Capital Partners, LLC
11943 El Camino Real, Suite 220
San Diego, California 92130
Attention: Chris Leininger
Facsimile: (858) 703-4401
(b) If to the Executive, at the address set forth on the signature page hereto.
13. Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in several counterparts, each of which shall be deemed to be an original, but all of which together will constitute one and the same Agreement.
14. Entire Agreement. The terms of this Agreement (together with any other agreements and instruments contemplated hereby or referred to herein) are intended by the parties hereto to be the final expression of their agreement with respect to the employment of the Executive by the Company and may not be contradicted by evidence of any prior or contemporaneous agreement (including, without limitation, any term sheet or offer letter). The terms of this Agreement supersede all prior agreements, oral and written between the parties hereto with respect to the subject matter hereof, which the parties acknowledge and agree are hereby terminated and canceled. The parties hereto further intend that this Agreement shall constitute the complete and exclusive statement of its terms and that no extrinsic evidence whatsoever may be introduced in any judicial, administrative, or other legal proceeding to vary the terms of this Agreement.
15. Amendments; Waivers. This Agreement may not be modified, amended, or terminated except by an instrument in writing, signed by the Executive and a duly authorized officer of the Company and approved by the Board, which expressly identifies the amended provision of this Agreement. By an instrument in writing similarly executed and approved by the Board, the Executive or a duly authorized officer of the Company may waive compliance by the other party or parties hereto with any provision of this Agreement that such other party was or is obligated to comply with or perform; provided, however, that such waiver shall not operate as a waiver of, or estoppel with respect to, any other or subsequent failure to comply or perform. No failure to exercise and no delay in exercising any right, remedy, or power hereunder shall preclude any other or further exercise of any other right, remedy, or power provided herein or by law or in equity.
16. No Inconsistent Actions. The parties hereto shall not voluntarily undertake or fail to undertake any action or course of action inconsistent with the provisions or essential intent of this Agreement. Furthermore, it is the intent of the parties hereto to act in a fair and reasonable manner with respect to the interpretation and application of the provisions of this Agreement.
17. Construction. This Agreement shall be deemed drafted equally by both of the parties hereto. Its language shall be construed as a whole and according to its fair meaning. Any presumption or principle that the language is to be construed against any party hereto shall not apply. The headings in this Agreement are only for convenience and are not intended to affect construction or interpretation. Any references to paragraphs, subparagraphs, sections or subsections are to those parts of this Agreement, unless the context clearly indicates to the contrary. Also, unless the context clearly indicates to the contrary, (a) the plural includes the singular and the singular includes the plural; (b) and and or are each used both conjunctively and disjunctively; (c) any, all, each, or every means any and all, and each and every; (d) includes and including are each without limitation; (e) herein, hereof, hereunder and other similar compounds of the word here refer to the entire Agreement and not to any particular paragraph, subparagraph, section or subsection; and (f) all pronouns and any variations thereof shall be deemed to refer to the masculine, feminine, neuter, singular or plural as the identity of the entities or persons referred to may require.
18. Arbitration. Any dispute or controversy based on, arising under or relating to this Agreement shall be settled exclusively by final and binding arbitration, conducted before a
single neutral arbitrator in Dallas, Texas in accordance with the Employment Arbitration Rules and Mediation Procedures of the American Arbitration Association (the AAA) then in effect. Arbitration may be compelled, and judgment may be entered on the arbitration award in any court having jurisdiction; provided, however, that the Company shall be entitled to seek a restraining order or injunction in any court of competent jurisdiction to prevent any continuation of any violation of the provisions of Section 6, and the Executive hereby consents that such restraining order or injunction may be granted without requiring the Company to post a bond. Only individuals who are (a) lawyers engaged full-time in the practice of law and (b) on the AAA roster of arbitrators shall be selected as an arbitrator. Within twenty (20) days of the conclusion of the arbitration hearing, the arbitrator shall prepare written findings of fact and conclusions of law. Each party shall bear its own costs and attorneys fees in connection with an arbitration; provided that the Company shall bear the cost of the arbitrator and the AAAs administrative fees.
19. Enforcement. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be illegal, invalid or unenforceable under present or future laws effective during the term of this Agreement, such provision shall be fully severable; this Agreement shall be construed and enforced as if such illegal, invalid or unenforceable provision had never comprised a portion of this Agreement; and the remaining provisions of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect and shall not be affected by the illegal, invalid or unenforceable provision or by its severance from this Agreement. Furthermore, in lieu of such illegal, invalid or unenforceable provision there shall be added automatically as part of this Agreement a provision as similar in terms to such illegal, invalid or unenforceable provision as may be possible and be legal, valid and enforceable.
20. Withholding. The Company shall be entitled to withhold from any amounts payable under this Agreement, any federal, state, local or foreign withholding or other taxes or charges which the Company is required to withhold. The Company shall be entitled to rely on an opinion of counsel if any questions as to the amount or requirement of withholding shall arise.
21. Absence of Conflicts; Executive Acknowledgement; Confidentiality. The Executive hereby represents that from and after the Effective Date the performance of the Executives duties hereunder will not breach any other agreement to which the Executive is a party. The Executive acknowledges that the Executive has read and understands this Agreement, is fully aware of its legal effect, has not acted in reliance upon any representations or promises made by the Company other than those contained in writing herein, and has entered into this Agreement freely based on the Executives own judgment. The Executive agrees not to disclose the terms or existence of this Agreement to any Person unless the Company agrees to such disclosure in advance and in writing; provided that the Executive may, without such permission, make such disclosures as are required by applicable law, including disclosures to taxing agencies, and disclose the terms of this Agreement to the Executives attorney(s), accountant(s), tax advisor(s), and other professional service provider(s), and to members of the Executives immediate family, as reasonably necessary; provided, further, that the Executive instructs such person(s) that the terms of this Agreement are strictly confidential and are not to be revealed to anyone else except as required by applicable law.
22. Survival. The expiration or termination of the Term shall not impair the rights or obligations of any party hereto which shall have accrued prior to such expiration or termination (including, without limitation, pursuant to the provisions of Section 6 hereof).
[Signature pages follow]
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties hereto have executed this Agreement on the date and year first above written.
PROPETRO HOLDING CORP.
/s/ Jeffrey D. Smith
Jeffrey D. Smith
/s/ Dale Redman
Signature Page to the
[FORM OF OPTION AGREEMENT]